Pumpkin and Barley Chili
Bring a taste of fall into your home with this simple and delicious chili.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions chopped
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 bell peppers chopped
- 2 1/2 cups diced pumpkin
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups barley
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large stockpot, add olive oil and onions over medium heat. Once onions have softened, add garlic, ginger, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir for a minute or until ingredients become fragrant.
- Stir in bell peppers, diced pumpkin, tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable broth. Then add in black beans and barley.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer. Adjust with salt and or chili powder as it simmers.
- Allow to simmer for 45 minutes, or until the barley is fully cooked through. If the chili begins to thicken too much, add water as needed.
- When cooking is done, add any needed spices and serve. (Makes 12 servings)