Harvest Barley Salad
Fresh ingredients, easy to make, and delicious for either lunch or dinner, the Harvest Barley Salad is a triple threat. This recipe was created by Jamie Parchman and submitted as part of the "Bring on the Barley" Recipe Contest hosted by the Idaho Barley Commission and American Heart Association Idaho.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 cup barley, hulless or pearl
- 3 cups vegetable broth, no salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tsp molasses
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line the baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- Cut acorn squash in half and remove seeds. Place squash cut side up on the prepared baking sheet. Cover lightly with another sheet of nonstick foil. Roast 25-30 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- While squash is cooking, place barley and broth in a medium size saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 30 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Rinse barley in cold water and set aside.
- While barley and squash cool, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, molasses, garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika and black pepper. Set aside.
- Peel and cut squash into one-inch pieces. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Add baby spinach, green onion, pomegranate seed, barley and parsley to bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over and toss.
- Top with pumpkin seeds and feta, toss again. Enjoy!