Fish & Chips
A fan favorite with a healthier twist!
- 3/4 cup barley flour plus for dusting the fish
- 1 cup beer- preferably a barley beer!
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb firm white fish fillets
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 bag frozen french fries
- Starting with the chips, follow directions on frozen french fries bag and prepare them. Alternatively, if you want to make your own french fries from scratch, do so before beginning your fish.
- Turn stovetop on medium-high heat and fill saucepan with oil. Let heat while you prepare the fish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, and beer until you get a smooth batter that should thickly coat the back of a spoon.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel and dust lightly with flour then dip into the batter. Allow excess to drip off before putting in oil.
- Cook each fillet for about 3-4 minutes, until the batter is crisp and golden, then place them on paper towels to drain any oil excess.
- Serve hot and fresh with the french fries.