Barley Antipasto Salad
- 1 cup pearl or whole grain barley
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound Provolone cheese cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound Italian salami cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 can artichoke hearts drained and quartered, 16 ounces
- 1 cup pepperoncini rings drained (or 2/3whole pepperoncini, sliced into rings)
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 8 medium white button mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata or ripe black olives
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup to 1/2prepared Italian salad dressing
- In a medium saucepan with lid bring water to a boil. Add barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. (If using whole-grain barley, it may be necessary to increase cooking time to 50-55 minutes. It may also be necessary to drain off any unabsorbed liquid after cooking.) Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked and cooled barley, Provolone cheese, salami, artichokes, pepperoncini, bell pepper, mushrooms, olives, Parmesan cheese, basil, and parsley.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, toss again, adding more dressing if necessary.