Sweet Potato Casserole with Barley Flake and Pecan Topping
A new take on a classic dish, this sweet potato casserole with a barley flake pecan topping is sure to impress!
For the Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 TBSP maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Topping
- 1/4 Cup BARLEY flour
- 1/3 Cup BARLEY flakes
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Wash sweet potatoes and use a fork to poke holes in. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes or until tender when forked.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mash sweet potatoes, removing the skin beforehand if desired, in a large bowl. Mix in maple syrup, milk, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt with an electric mixer until desired smoothness is reached. Pour into prepared pan and set aside.
- For the topping: Whisk together flour, flakes, brown sugar, and pecans. Stir in the melted butter until nicely crumbled. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown.