Whole Grain Pilaf with Sunflower Seeds
This side dish is packed with fiber and vitamins. You can substitute long-cooking barley and brown rice with the quick-cooking varieties.
- 4 Teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1/3 Cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt divided
- 2 Teaspoon butter
- 1 Cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 2 1/2 Cups water
- 1 1/2 Cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 Cup dried currants
- 1/4 Cup bulgar
- 1/4 Cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil, sunflower seeds and ¼ teaspoon salt in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, butter and sauté leek for about 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add water, chicken broth, barley and brown rice, and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes.
- Stir in currants and bulgar; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until grains are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, sunflower seeds, parsley and pepper.
- Serve immediately.