Southwest Barley Salad
- 3 Cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 Cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 Cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 Cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 Cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 Cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 Cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 Cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup salsa
- 3 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro and garlic. Stir in barley.
- Just before serving, combine the salsa, sour cream and lime juice; add to barley mixture. Serve warm or cold.