Mexicali Barley Salad
- 1 Cup PEARL BARLEY (if using whole grain barley, see directions below)
- 3 Cups water
- 1 Can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Can (11 oz.) Mexicorn or regular canned corned, drained
- 3/4 Cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup sliced jalapeno peppers
- 2/3 Cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 3 Tablespoon prepared Italian salad dressing
- Green cabbage leaves optional
- 2 Cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup crumbled tortilla chips
- Combine barley and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In large bowl, combine cooled barley, beans, corn, red onion and jalapeño peppers.
- In small bowl, combine barbecue sauce and salad dressing.
- Pour dressing over barley-bean mixture and toss to coat.
- Line a serving bowl with cabbage leaves, if desired.
- Spoon barley salad into bowl and top with shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.