Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spiced Cranberries and Barley
- 1 Cup PEARL BARLEY uncooked
- 1/2 Cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup diced onion
- 1/2 Cup diced celery
- 3/4 Cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 Teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 Cup toasted almonds
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4 to 5 oz. each
- 2 Cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- parsley and garlic to taste
- In a sauce pan, combine all the filling ingredients from barley to cinnamon.
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then simmer until barley is tender and all liquid is absorbed (cooking time will vary from 20 to 40 minutes depending on the type of pearl barley).
- Stir in almonds when cooled.
- Heat oven to 300º F.
- With knife, split chicken breast, and coat with breading.
- Stuff with ¼ cup of barley mixture.
- Bake at 300º F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.