Mushroom Barley Risotto
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 Cup chopped fresh onions
- 1 Cup BARLEY
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 Cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed medium-size pan.
- Add shallot and mushrooms and saute over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley and cook over low heat 1 to 2 minutes or until glistening.
- Add wine and cook over medium heat until wine evaporates.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender but still chewy, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, tomatoes, walnuts and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.