Rock’m Sock’m Chili
It’s a fast, flavorful, and guaranteed kid pleaser! Serve this fiber-rich chili with cornbread and carrot or celery sticks.
- 2 Teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 Pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup PEARL BARLEY
- 1 28oz. Can cut tomatoes
- 1 Cup water
- 1-2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 15oz Can pinto or red beans
- grated cheese or tortilla chips for garnish
- Heat oil in dutch oven or heavy 4 to 5 quart pan over medium heat.
- Add ground beef and onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is no longer pink.
- Add barley, tomatoes, water, chili powder and salt.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add undrained beans and continue to cook 15 to 20 minutes to blend flavors and finish cooking barley.
- Serve in bowls topped with grated cheese or crumbled tortilla chips, if desired.