Barley Soup Mix
Prepare a mix of dry ingredients in this do-it-yourself recipe.
- 1/4 Cup PEARL BARLEY
- 1/4 Cup green split peas
- 1/4 Cup red lentils
- 4 Cubes beef or chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons instant onion flakes
- 2 Teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoons tsp dried thyme crushed
- 1/4 Teaspoons black pepper
- Put barley, split peas and lentils in plastic bag.
- Place remaining ingredients in plastic sandwich bag; seal and place pouch of seasonings in bag with barley.
- Seal and attach directions for use.
- Rinse barley mixture in strainer.
- Place barley mixture in kettle with contents of seasoning packet, 5 cups water and 1 tbsp. butter.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour and 15 min. or until barley, peas and lentils are tender.
- For heartier soup, add ham, kielbasa, chicken or turkey to cooked soup and heat thoroughly before serving.
- For a fun gift idea, wrap this package of home-made soup mix in cellophane and decorate with a pretty ribbon. Remember to include a note card with cooking directions!