Barley Pumpkin Waffles
Classic sweet and spicy taste—now in breakfast form!
- 1/2 Cup warm water (105º F to 115º F)
- 1 Package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup BARLEY flour
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup prepared solid pack pumpkin
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine water and 1 teaspoon sugar in small bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over water; let stand 5 minutes or until surface bubbles to show yeast is working.
- Combine flours, remaining sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk, pumpkin and melted butter.
- Stir liquid ingredients and yeast mixture into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Cover batter and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare waffles, heat waffle iron.
- Pour in 1/2 to 1 cup batter, according to the size of the waffle iron.
- Bake until waffles are done.