Barley Soup Mix
Prepare a mix of dry ingredients in this do-it-yourself recipe.
- 1/4 Cup PEARL BARLEY
- 1/4 Cup green split peas
- 1/4 Cup red lentils
- 4 Cubes beef or chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons instant onion flakes
- 2 Teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoons tsp dried thyme crushed
- 1/4 Teaspoons black pepper
Put barley, split peas and lentils in plastic bag.
Place remaining ingredients in plastic sandwich bag; seal and place pouch of seasonings in bag with barley.
Seal and attach directions for use.
Rinse barley mixture in strainer.
Place barley mixture in kettle with contents of seasoning packet, 5 cups water and 1 tbsp. butter.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour and 15 min. or until barley, peas and lentils are tender.
For heartier soup, add ham, kielbasa, chicken or turkey to cooked soup and heat thoroughly before serving.
For a fun gift idea, wrap this package of home-made soup mix in cellophane and decorate with a pretty ribbon. Remember to include a note card with cooking directions!