Bavarian Barley Stew
A rustic stew with a kick.
- 1/2 Pound medium or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 Cup PEARL BARLEY
- 2 Cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1 Cup sliced carrot
- 1 Cup sliced celery
- 1/2 Cup cup chopped onion
- 1 Leaf bay leaf
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed or diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon prepared mustard optional
- - toasted croutons, for garnish
Brown sausage in Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan.
Drain any excess fat from sausage.
Add remaining ingredients, except mustard and croutons.
Cover and simmer 1 hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.
Stir in mustard, if desired.
Remove bay leaf before serving.
Pass around croutons for garnish.