Rock’m Sock’m Chili
It’s a fast, flavorful, and guaranteed kid pleaser! Serve this fiber-rich chili with cornbread and carrot or celery sticks.
- 2 Teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 Pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup PEARL BARLEY
- 1 28oz. Can cut tomatoes
- 1 Cup water
- 1-2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 15oz Can pinto or red beans
- grated cheese or tortilla chips for garnish
Heat oil in dutch oven or heavy 4 to 5 quart pan over medium heat.
Add ground beef and onion.
Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is no longer pink.
Add barley, tomatoes, water, chili powder and salt.
Cover and cook 30 minutes over medium low heat.
Add undrained beans and continue to cook 15 to 20 minutes to blend flavors and finish cooking barley.
Serve in bowls topped with grated cheese or crumbled tortilla chips, if desired.